Sunday, October 7, 2007

Artistic Statement_Reflection

Artistic Statement_Reflection

What I’ve learned about writing artistic statement could be devided to three categories. First, the biographical statement is headed on the start in writing. This gives basic information about you: what is your background? when is your first artistic experience?, how you can pursuit your goal?, the most influential people in your life to broaden your perspective, etc. Presenting this background gives reader more chances to apprehend you as an artist more deeply and specifically. Also, the chronical achievement, followed by the motivation and specific explaination of each work, is needed for understanding your work. The former information about you will help people to understand why this person had to do artistic activity like this. Moreover, this will provide the most important components like subject, motivation, process, medium and so on. Consequently, this personal and artistic statement should be organized well in the sense of logic and emotions; The specific ideas in each process should be delievered clearly and effectively as you intend to. This might be possible to make the essay more attractive or appealing.
There were some missing points during revising my artistic statement. In the first revision by writing tutor, my writing had some mistakes to use correctly and some expressions were not clear for reader to understand although the writing itself could be estimated as a high leveled. And after Sang’s lecture and Guggenhime lecture, I realized my artistic statement make important fault not to mention about the most influential person who had affected me. Also, from my classmate, I was pointed out that there were some vague statements what I had done and what my work aimed for. After I heard about that, I revised my writing to be more clear to express my works’ intends and favorites, and influences from other artist and architects more persuasively. When I got the final revision from writing tutor, I came to find out the most frequently occurred mistakes in writing. It was making sentences to long and using some expressions which readers could not easily understand. So, lastly, I could think about not only important criteria of artistic statement, but also my faulty habits in writing.
If I have more chances to write artistic statement in next time, I will express my process and intends about my works more clearly, moreover about influential factors such as artists, architect or any other events. Also, in the sense of writing itself, since it used to making long sentences which make reader confused, I think I should express my thinking not too long, but more specifically and efficiently.

No comments: