Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Artistic Statement

Artistic Statement_Final version

Before I came to the field of architecture, there was a long story, which began at Seoul National University where I was a Painting Major. During my early years the subjects of my paintings were personal things, such as the expression of ego and fantasy. But in the last year, I had some important turning points, not only in my painting style, but also in my life.
At that time, the village where lived was Sillim-dong, and some people sometimes refer to the Sillim-dong neighborhood in Seoul as the “hillside slums.” It was true that the area was underdeveloped compared to more affluent neighborhoods like Gangnam, which is far more popular among real estate investors and developers. Yet as someone who had lived there for a long time and had grown attached to the place, Sillim-dong’s lowly reputation seemed unfair to me. In opposition to this narrow and prejudiced view – which ranked both land and humans in a hierarchy of monetary value – I decided to record and render my neighborhood in my paintings from my own personal perspective. This became the first subject of my artistic work, which would be continued for a long time.
However, this kind of artistic work was limited; it did not have much of a direct effect on the real world. Searching anxiously for a method to more closely connect my works of art to society, I joined the public art group. The works of this new genre made it possible for me to approach my work in the city more creatively and dynamically. I managed several projects and exhibitions; these were all works about the city, which became the main subject in my works. Especially, I had interest in public space with the potential to give individual meaning, a place where human activities – both mental and physical – took place and affected lives. Along with my interest in public art, I tried to study the environment, such as public space, and it seemed a plausible solution to my ongoing concerns about my works.
During that time, I came to know the work of Vito Acconci, one of the most famous public artists. .His work is so impressive that my carrier and works have been influenced by him. His first works are about his early days. But later, his interests extended to outer space. He expanded his works to the field of architecture and landscape architecture. It was really amazing to discover an artist who made my concept of ideal artistic works, real. I have been encouraged and inspired by his works continuously since that time. Finally, I decided to study architecture in order to learn the practical approach and advance my works more creatively.
Finally, I came here to New York, where many cultures are co-existing. It offers me the opportunity to experiment with my works, which are a continuation of my studies in my undergraduate days. My study and works might seem a little different from each other, but I believe that this integrated approach, which collaborates with fields related to the city, can yield possible solutions for improving the conditions of residents more creatively and dynamically. Most of all, It will be a way to realize my dreams of continued artistic works as a hybrid artist and architect.

No comments: